[Coco] Chinon floppy drive and coco3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 24 18:32:12 EST 2014

On Monday 24 February 2014 17:57:22 Richard E Crislip did opine:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 00:53:45 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 February 2014 00:48:58 Arthur Flexser did opine:
> > > Gene, I believe the index hole is used by the CoCo only for
> > > formatting. So if that's the problem, it should be readily
> > > identifiable by the drive's working okay for reading and writing to
> > > existing CoCo disks, but giving an error when it gets to the verify
> > > stage of formatting.
> > >
> > > Art
> >
> > You are spot on there Art.  I once had a drive with a doofy indexer,
> > and had to move it about 5 degrees CCW to make it work.  The casting
> > was in the way but I'm pretty good with a dremel, so I won that
> > argument.  I checked with several brands of disks first though, and
> > it simply did not align with the index hole in the sleeve.  Like
> > Captain Kirk, I "made it so". :)  Its amazing what gets thru QC.
>
> <snip>
>
> Sorry, but that was Capt. Piquard's line 8-).

Chuckle, but Richard, you forget that I was in a position to "make it so"
for something over 20 years, even if I did have to get my own shoes wet
walking on water to "make it so". ;-)  And TBT, its a pretty good feeling
when you have sufficiently impressed the frogs that they ask to see your
bare feet so they can check for webs.

That actually happened once, at KIVA-TV in Farmington NM, fall of '77.  New
York Life's paramedics were trying out some standup.  In those days, when
NYL wrote a $50k policy, they sent parameds around to make sure you were
warm and breathing before they signed off on it.  That $50k policy was one
of the freebies I had asked for when I took the job.