[Coco] Trivia Fever

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Feb 23 13:36:30 EST 2014

Rogelio Perea wrote:
> Been playing with Trivia Fever I got recently (mint condition box). Found
> that the flippy disk contains a minimal OS9 Level 1 Version 1 system plus
> the game files - game will run fine out of the box.
>
> With my OS9 L1V2 system (CoCo 1) I copied the whole contents to a single 40
> track DSDD floppy, taking care of installing the files into a cobblered
> OS9L2V2 disk - this system has the DP Johnson SDISK setup.
>
> Allowing DSAVE work its magic, I ended up with a bootable Trivia Fever
> disk. The systems boots up fine and goes through the motions of the initial
> phase of the game, I get the title screen, a nice block graphics animation
> sequence and then the Trivia Fever graphics based splash screen comes up...
> soon after the program aborts to the shell with an ERROR #43 (Basic09
> unknown procedure).
>
> When the game aborts into the command line, the system remains on a
> graphics screen, the TF splash screen remains and the shell prompt is
> visible and active. The text display on that screen is 42*24.
>
> Anyone on the list has had experience with this game? transferred it to a
> 40TDSDD floppy and have it run from there?. After playing the stock OS9L1V1
> I can see the benefit of the 6ms step rate, as the program accesses the
> disk heavily during the game.

I have seen the same thing with an OS-9 Level1 version2 disk. Error 43 means
"unknown procedure" and is a Basic09 error. As the program is written in
Basic09, that almost makes sense but not quite. I'm pretty sure something in the
L1V2 system code is confusing the game rather than a missing B09 procedure.

However, you can use any of the NitrOS-9 disks from Coco1 through Coco3_6309,
and the game will run after you copy over the contents of the trivia fever
disks. You will need to use ded to change all mentions of CCIO to VTIO that are
present in kbdhack and hi_res.
When you boot from these disks, just enter Trivia to start the game. You won't
need to use kbdhack.

Kbdhack seems pointless as it mainly resets the clock to 1984, Jan 1st, 1AM. It
changes the CCIO code so that the message TRIVIA #40 is processed but then
restores CCIO.