[Coco] Chinon floppy drive and coco3

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 22 22:16:36 EST 2014

On Saturday 22 February 2014 22:06:50 Mike Howard did opine:

> Has anyone been able to get a chinon floppy drive to work with coco3. I
> can get it to read tracks but get io error when it trys to
> verify...How bout a nec drive. the nec is fd1177c ad chinon is 506l ?

ISTR I have used them ok.  But be aware that some Chinon drives could be
fugitives from an amiga, and have 2 problems, the first is the head drive
wire and its spring leaf to help it stay in the motor shafts spiral groove
is going to need cleaning back down to bare metal & re-oiled, the second
being that the amiga versions have no "index" pulse which confuses the
coco's WD1773 (or 93) FDC chip.  I don't think its fixable.  The amiga did
not read "sectors" but the whole track was read into a buffer, and then the
buffer was searched for the correct "sector".  Ditto on writes, it read the
whole track, located the data to be updated in the buffer, and then wrote
the whole track back to the disk, leaving a small gap between the end of
the track and the same track coming back around as the disk was spinning.
So it didn't care where the disk was in its rotation when it decided to
write.