[Coco] fpga coco

camillus.b.58 at gmail.com camillus.b.58 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 20:19:02 EST 2014

Hi folks,

I am following the discussions on here and I wonder. Everyone is so in need of making the coco a supercomputer, but does anyone thinking on our old baby’s. Some chips in it getting more and more obsolete, and when that happens we have to give it away to a museum.

So what i’m saying is that with all the knowledge that most of you guys have concerning fpga, would it not be smart to make models of the gime chip and cpu , so that those chips can be replaced whenever they fail.

Then also you can make those chip better, faster and maybe add some features. I think that would be a lot cheaper then building a new version of the coco. And the good thing for us hobbyists it would be kind of modular. If I wanted to exchange my Cpu with a fpda clone, then I have to pay for that only, idem for the Gime chip. etc etc. Having the two pia’s in a plcd or fpga give the same functionality and maybe more, ( centronics, real serial, etc etc )

This is just some mind spinning, sure many people can add on…

But anyway I would buy a fpga coco if I had the money to spare, but now i’m settling to keep my old pal coco3 going for which I need a hd disk controller for. Anyone have one to spare???….LOL

keep up the good works friends, hope to see you in April at the fest in the windy city, which would be my first time attending. Oh just to say I’m a coco enthusiast sins 1981, after I got rid of my TRS80 Model I.

camillus

Sent from Windows Mail