[Coco] [OT] TRS-80 Model I on DE1

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 20 07:43:07 EST 2014

On 20/02/2014 10:02 PM, Mark McDougall wrote:

Just want to make something super clear here.

In my implementations of the TRS-80 Model I and the Coco 1/2, the SD card
emulates the (IDE) hard drive, NOT floppy drives.

Both the TRS-80 (via Peter Bartlett's IDE interface) and Coco (via Cloud9
SuperIDE controller) communicate directly with IDE interface registers. This
makes it very easy (trivial) to connect the FPGA implementation up to a
Compact Flash (CF) operating in TrueIDE mode (the default mode) via the
Opencores IDE controller component. And this is exactly what I did initially
on alternate hardware with a CF slot.

Then I thought of developing a front-end module for the SD card that
emulates an IDE *device*. That way, nothing in the existing architecture
changes; I just need to add an extra FPGA component between the OCIDE module
and the physical pins of the SD card. And it could be retro-fitted easily to
any other FPGA implementation that talks to IDE! There are a few clumsy
details but - viola!

My colleague wrote the SD card interface, but never finished it, only
getting the reads working. He assures me that writes aren't handled much
differently, and wouldn't take much work to add. But I've never bitten the
bullet to learn how his interface works. FTR we both write VHDL quite
differently.

So, this is all very different from emulating floppy disks on SD card. It
would actually be relatively easy to emulate a *single* floppy disk, or
perhaps even 4 floppy disks, on a single SD card, especially given the fact
that I do have a WD179x implementation already. However, it would NOT be a
simple matter of copying DSK images onto a FAT-formatted SD card; rather
you'd need special software to write RAW disk images. And all that, with 4
images at most, isn't exactly practical. But it would give you the one
advantage that the SDC has over the other interfaces, namely truly 100% FDC
compatibility.

And I re-iterate; to emulate floppies on the DE1 you need another processor
reading the FAT filesystem and injecting sectors from a DSK file into the
'raw' disk stream, much like MESS does for the C64 (using G64 files). And
(possibly) similar to the SDC itself. At least if you want to support track
commands too!

Hope this makes things a little clearer on the whole DE1 SD floppy issue!?!

Regards,