[Coco] Got the SDC

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Feb 18 11:07:37 EST 2014

In case it's helpful for anyone else, this is the command summary I made
for myself from the Website and forum posts:

*Directory Listing:*
DIR # (# for drive number - 0,1,2)

*CoCo SDC DIR:*
DIR - (list all files and directories)
DIR "FOLDER/
DIR "FOLDER/*.XXX (where XXX is the extension that the search string
returns)

*Mount an image:*
DRIVE #,"NAME" (# for drive number, NAME for file name)
DRIVE #,"PATH/NAME.DSK
DRIVE #,"PATH/NA*.DSK
DRIVE #,"PATH/NA*

*Create a new, blank disk image:*
DRIVE #,"NAME.DSK",NEW (formatted)
DRIVE #,"NAME.SDF",NEW+ (unformatted, will need DISKINI command to format)

*Eject a disk image (you can usually just overwrite an existing image by
DRIVE #,UNLOAD

*Show the current drive configuration:*
DRIVE

*Run a BASIC program (Loads and Runs):*
RUN "#:NAME.BAS" (# for drive number, NAME for file name)
RUN "NAME/BAS:#"

*Load a BASIC program (Just Loads, not Runs):*
LOAD "#:NAME.BAS"
LOAD "YYYY/BAS:#"

*Run a Machine Language Program:*
LOADM "#:NAME.BIN":EXEC
LOADM "NAME/BAS:#":EXEC

*Multi-disk programs:*
Multi-disk programs require their own folder on the SD card. Place the
individual
disk image files inside the folder and give them names that end in
sequential numbers (1-9). For example I have Gold Runner 2000 in a folder
named GR2K with the two disk images inside named GR2K1.DSK and
GR2K2.DSK. Use the DRIVE command to mount the folder as drive 0:

  DRIVE 0,"GR2K

This will mount the disk image inside with the lowest numbered name. Each press
of the button on the controller will then rotate through the numbered image
files and blink the LED to indicate which image has been selected.

*Startup Configuration File:*
Entering a DRIVE command every time you start up the CoCo can be
inconvenient, especially if you tend to use a particular disk image file on
a regular basis. To alleviate this problem you can add a startup
configuration file to the SD card.

You will need to use a computer with an SD card reader to create a
plain-text ASCII file in the root directory of the SD card. The name of the
file must be "STARTUP.CFG". The contents of the file can be one or two
lines of text which specify the initial mount points for drives 0 and/or 1
as shown in the example below.

  0=Nos9Lev2.dsk
  1=Utils.dsk

Make sure the specified image files conform to the 8.3 filename conventions.

*Using DriveWire Images:*
To access disk images on the DriveWire server, you use the DRIVE command as
explained above but instead of a string argument identifying an image file
on the SD card, you provide a DriveWire virtual drive number (prefixed with
#) in the range of 0 to 63:

   DRIVE 2,#0

If you have a virtual 'hard disk' image containing an array of up to 256
floppy images, you can specify the index of the desired floppy image as a
third argument to the DRIVE command:

   DRIVE 2,#0,125

*Accessing Real Floppy Disks:*
In addition to disk images located on SD cards and the DriveWire server,
SDC-DOS will also provide access to real floppy disks if you have a
Mult-Pak Interface and a separate floppy controller. When powering-up the
system, the switch on the MPI must be set to the slot number containing the
CoCo SDC board.  SDC-DOS will examine the hardware plugged into the MPI
looking for the highest numbered slot containing a floppy controller.  If
found, the floppy controller will be used for any drive number in which
Disk Image mode has been turned off.

To turn off Disk Image mode for a particular drive number and thereby
utilize the floppy controller, specify OFF as the second argument in the
DRIVE command:

   DRIVE 1,OFF

Turning off Disk Image mode disables any SD card image or DriveWire image
currently mounted under the specified drive number, but does not eject
(unload) the image. You can reestablish access to the underlying image by
simply turning Disk Image mode back on for that drive:

   DRIVE 1,ON

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and