[Coco] [OT] TRS-80 Model I on DE1

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 16 22:54:14 EST 2014

Hi,

I promised a few people I'd share my TRS-80 implementation for the DE1.

Here's the link for the SOF, POF and SD image file...

<http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug/trs80/de1/>

I would stress at this point that it's more of a 'demonstration' than
user-friendly, useful product. I'm providing it for curiosity's sake more
than anything.

The implementation itself emulates a Model I with both PCG-80 and 80-GRAFIX
hires boards (LE18 support is also done but not enabled in this build), and
Peter Bartlett's Model I ROM extensions to boot directly from (IDE) HDD. The
HDD is emulated via SD on the DE1. HOWEVER: the current SD emulation is
READ-ONLY - you CANNOT write to the HDD!

Keys: `=@, '=:, -=_, HOME=CLEAR, INS=break and <CTL><ESC>=RESET

I've provided a 'sample' bootable LDOS (512MB) hard drive image with five
(5) virtual drives, including a bunch of games. The games include some hires
versions for the PCG-80 at least. You'll need some sort of utility to write
the image to an SD card; 'dd' would be suitable.

At this point I'm not supporting further enhancements. I will however try to
assist anyone with getting this up-and-running on the DE1.

*** Note that there is no need to program the DE1 FLASH device to run this
image. All you'll need is a blank SD card at least 512MB in size.
Personally, I find the most convenient set-up is to have the DE1 Control
Panel bitstream programmed into the DE1's configuration device, and then
program the SOF image for each emulation I want to run.

Regards,