[Coco] First experiences with my DE1

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 16 18:38:22 EST 2014

On 17/02/2014 4:17 AM, Louis Ciotti wrote:

> My guess is the with only one person really developing the COCO3FPGA
> (Correct me if I am wrong on the only one person part) the documentation
> that has been developed is sufficient in his view.

The developer should never, ever write documentation for users, or other
developers, and there's very good reason for it. It's not the fault of the
developer, but of the process.

I'm actually working on a job at work that I haven't touched for 18 months.
Granted it's an extremely complex and multi-faceted job, but prior to that I
worked on it for almost 5 years more-or-less full-time! And I can tell you,
the ramp-up this time 'round has been difficult and frustrating. Little
things that I've done many hundreds of times during the course of
development, have completely escaped my memory! Things that I would never
have dreamt of documenting, just like I don't document how to make my
morning coffee. It's a real eye-opener.

It's actually a really good idea that someone like Nick writes the "user
manual", because he's coming into it cold with no prior knowledge.

Regards,