[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 16 09:08:50 EST 2014

On 17/02/2014 12:15 AM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:

> The v9958 does have support for genlock and the vdp image could be
> superimposed to the coco3 rgb output. So we can superimpose sprites and
> bitplanes. The vdp has what is called transparent color, i.e. where the
> external video will appear.

What I particularly liked on the MSX2+ was the fact that the VDP, which is
effectively a sprite + tilemap generator, had enough tile RAM to display a
unique tile at every location, effectively being a bitmap display as well.
In fact, the MSX version of Lode Runner actually used the tilemaps in this mode.

Best of both worlds!

Regards,