[Coco] First experiences with my DE1

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 16 04:21:09 EST 2014

My DE1 has arrived and I was keen to get my CoCo3FPGA system up and running!

Many hours later, after harassing a few kind people with questions to
the difficulties I was having, I finally got my DE1 running as a
CoCo3... sort of.

There were still some problems and my CoCo3 was booting in Extended
Basic only.

It was clear to me that for any complete newbie such as me to the world
of FPGA, there is a real need for first-time-users instructions to get
the CoCo3FPGA up and running smoothly.

I decided to see how other communities have been handling the DE1 and I
thought I search for the MSX systems.

In less than a 3 minutes, Goggle search had me at a page describing the
entire process of getting the MSX files and how to load them into a DE1.

After grabbing the files and following the clear instructions on the
website, I had an MSX 3 systems up and running within 10 minutes after
my initial Google search.

Why can't we have something like this for the CoCo3FPGA to entice new users?

So, When I finally get my CoCo3FPGA up and running properly, I plan to
create a similar page for this to explain to other newbies how to setup
the DE1 with CoCo3FPGA.

The MSX instructions for those with a DE1 and wish to try it out are here:

http://www.msxinfo.net/2013/03/19/howto-flashing-the-altera-de1-as-a-msx/

Nick