[Coco] So does your coco3 do 256 color mode ? Mine does...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 15 10:32:38 EST 2014

On Saturday 15 February 2014 10:11:29 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did opine:

> also my coco1, coco2, coco2b, etc.
>
> Meet the WordPak 2+ fully operational:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAwJJsXbtA
>
> Still need to make all the drivers, one problem is the charset that
> must be loaded from disk. How do I do it in os9 ? Just open a file
> into the video driver init ?

That is a much larger portion of the screen real estate that the WP-RS or
WP-II the shack sold used, there is was about a 5x7 recipe card in the
center of a 13" amber screen monitor.  I was able to rework the drivers
chip init table and make it much larger, but then the monitor was running
at about 19 khz for H-scan, and about 85 hertz for the V-scan.

The 19 khz had the side effect of reducing the crt's anode voltage, which
made its scan deflection more sensitive, dimming the display just a
smidgeon at the same time the display expanded.  Worth the trade-off IMO.

My biggest problem while running them side by side was a lack of magnetic
shielding between the monitors, so both monitors had a small wiggling in
the displays (the other monitor then was a Maggy 8CM515, about 10x sharper
than the CM8 could ever be in its wildest dreams.  I had a sheet of steel
and a sheet of alu between them which helped some.

But when Boisy did a rewrite into separate modules back in the late 90's,
whenever vtio came into being, all that code was expunged from co80, so I
tore that down & never used it again. I was not exactly a happy camper as I
made extensive use of the 2nd monitor up to that point.  But by then I was
doing most of my "putin" on an Amiga with a PP&S 68040 card and 64 megs of
ram on it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)