[Coco] OT: Maximite BBX - The Modern Day BASIC Language Computer

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 14 14:31:40 EST 2014

Hmm. This is a little weird.

Some back story...

The Maximite was created here in Australia by a fellow name Geoff
Graham. He designed the electronics and wrote the Basic Interpreter (in
C). It was featured in the local Electronic Magazine here called Silicon
Chip.

It was originally a B/W only unit and then a color version was created
adding several new features.

Read about it here from the designer's website...

http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

The unit you see pictured on his website is the color model which could
be bought as a kit for $80 AUS. I own both the B/W original and the
color version and have developed software for it which you can read
about here...

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nickma/MaximiteProjects/

So what's this guy doing with the kickstarter project, flogging off
someone else's product?!

On a side note, the video on his page even shows a bit of my Donut
Dilemma game. Also, note the Maximite screen when it is started. See the
colored logo it puts up?

I designed that logo for Graham and it became the official logo for the
project.

Also, the graphics commands (Sprite, Blitter) were my inception. The
concept, syntax and operation were mine which I pitched to Graham who
included them in the Basic Interpreter and that was what I used in my
game Donut Dilemma. (My name is in the official Maximite Basic
Interpreter manual)

I'd be curious to see where this goes legally when Graham hears about it.

It may be ok and Graham has put the hardware design on Open Source. I
know his interpreter isn't. Watch this space...