[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 13 16:14:49 EST 2014

On 14/02/2014 7:08 AM, Steve wrote:
> Nick, I looked up the part on line there is only 119,808 bits of ram
> on the chip. You will need more that 1,000,00 bits for the 128K of ram
> on the CoCo 3. Chips with that size of ram run $250 and up.

I was only using this board as an example. We'd have to obviously pick
such a board with the appropriate version of FPGA.

> You could use this line of FPGA if you willing to hook up ram to it.

Yes. I notice the DE1 board has a separate 8Mb RAM.

> What if design a board that holds the FPGA, RAM and the other
> interfaces (ports) to plug in CoCo equipment and have it fit a CoCo
> case.  The you would have a CoCo replacement.
>
> But that's a lot of work for only 200 units.

Yes. That's why I thought that being able to use an off the shelf FPGA
core board would take away some of the burden. It means that we'd only
need an I/O board developed which could use easier/lower cost parts.

It has the added bonus of the avbility to upgrade the FPGA core board to
a newer moire powerful version later.

I'm looking at ways to ease the development cycle to make the chance of
a CoCo4 more realistic. I like the DE1 board so far but we need a lower
cost version to attract people who are sitting on the fence about
whether to jump in.

I'm still new to this FPGA stuff but I can see the potential.

Nick