[Coco] OT: Linux

Louis Ciotti lciotti at me.com
Wed Feb 12 23:17:58 EST 2014

Every OS has it’s place, and no matter what anyone thinks, it will take a huge swing for microsoft/windows to loose it foothold.  Having just recently purchase a new mac, which I love btw, I still had to install MS office.  While pages, numbers, and keynote can all open and save in MS office format, the little that I have used pages and numbers I can see why many businesses still with the MS solution. Numbers is way behind excel with built-in functions

Linux is a great OS, and I also use it on a couple of machines.  I love the simplicity of the CLI.  Open source is a great concept, but in the end most complex software I have used costs money with a dedicated team of programmers behind it.

My biggest grip with open-source software is that eventually something happens and the group behind the software splinters and then starts over or disappears.  Take the e-mail client Thunderbird.  a great e-mail client now lost...

As for the security of windows, sure it is not perfect, but in the almost 20 years of running windows, they have never been hacked, and any virus I got was my own fault for opening a website/file from a questionable source.  But hay maybe I am just lucky, since I also do not have a router with dd-wrt between my cable modem and my computers.