[Coco] coco4 / Linux

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Feb 12 22:42:20 EST 2014

On Wednesday 12 February 2014 22:17:21 Aaron Wolfe did opine:

> On Feb 12, 2014 8:27 PM, "Glen VanDenBiggelaar" <glenvdb at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> > Sorry for the rant, but I have been h
> > Sent from my iPhone
>
> Linux would let you finish your sentence.

Yup, and his android is probably 10x more secure than a win8CE phone will
ever be.  Android is a slimmed down linux.

When this system gets destroyed, its me that did it, not some pimply-faced
kid writing windows scripts. In 15 years, I only know on 1 (one) linux box
that was ever hacked.  I felt something wrong while working on a non-mail
related script, so I saved my work & unplugged the cat5 from and rebooted
the mail server at wdtv.  I then helped Jim repair the damages, which were
well documented because he didn't have a chance to clean the logs. We only
plugged in a cat5 long enough to download a fixed version of bind. That was
in 1999 I believe.

And right now its listed on spamcop again because somebodies *%#)(* windows
machine has been rooted.  Since there are around 20 machines in sales, I
don't know if Jim has found the culprit yet.  They will not like it when
Jim does find it because the machine WILL be wiped lox clean and re-
installed.  If he has to do that salesman's machine again, he/she may find
themselves looking at a linux login.  Whether they like it or not.

Windows machines have their place, but hooked to a piece of cat5, doing a
dhcp direct from the IPS's server is NOT one of them. To have any security,
get a router that can be reflashed to dd-wrt firmware, and put the machine
on a local address someplace in the 192.168.xx.xx block, letting the
firewall in the router do the Native Address Translation. That will stop
99.99% of the script kiddies.  And you can let it suck mail all night
without worrying about if YOU still own the box in the morning.