[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optonline.net
Wed Feb 12 16:48:57 EST 2014

Every 8-Bit computer "failed" as technology passed them by. There was no
engineering problem with the Coco 3 I'm aware of that affected its sales.

No information on how to program the Coco 3 is being lost. I still have all
the books I used to have. Most of them have been scanned and are available
from various places on the web.

There are no "blueprints" for a Coco 3 to be lost. The schematics are in the
service manual that has been scanned in and is available on the web.

I want disk drives on my Coco. They are not that rare. There are several on
eBay at any given time. You can use 5.25" or 3.5" drives. I think most CoCo
users ought to have at least one drive to read in old floppies. After that,
DW works just as well for most needs.

The Coco 4 you specify already exists. It's called a PC.

I would like a Coco 3 replica like the Replica I Apple I clone from Briel
Computers. I would like it to have a cartridge slot I can attach a disk
controller to if I choose. Once a Coco 3 clone is built and debugged, it
could then be enhanced into a Coco 4. A Coco 4 doesn't need to run Linux or
any other PC operating system. It needs to run OS-9/NitrOS-9, and DECB
either natively or in Coco 3 Emulation. If you want a PC, go buy a PC.

I'd just like hardware to replace my aging Coco 3 which will become useless
when the keyboard finally dies. At that point, either I buy Cloud 9's
Keyboard interface, or hope to buy another that still works.

-[ Al ]-