[Coco] [OT] Windows 8

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Feb 10 20:19:46 EST 2014

Yes, Steven Sinofsky was behind the Window's store interface (metro).
But this new interface was a bit heavy handed as in "my way or the
highway" and could (did) lead to him parting ways with Microsoft.  With
Steven gone, the Desktop style interface with graphical clues is comming
back. Items like the Windows Key is now on the tool bar in Windows 8.1.
This works the same as pressing the the Windows key of the keyboard or
pressing the Window's button on a touch screen.  But if you right click
on this target, you get a nice menu from Task manager to power the
computer down.

On my Windows 8.1 systems, I boot right to desk top thanks to 8.1 update
almost never see the metro metro interface. More to the fact, I don't
use (or need) any third party interface addons to make the interface so
it acts like a Windows 7 interface.

One tip, try using the mouse's right click on the Metro interface and
its apps.  It sure helps.

In about a month, Windows 8.1.1 will hit and it will help even more with
the interface issues.

Also Windows 9 is about a year out with lots of desktop interface
improvements like run metro apps in a window on the Desktop.

The Desktop Interface is here to stay for a while.

By the way, the metro interface works great on tablets and Touch Screen
computers once you get use to swiping in from the sides.

I should also point out that Apple's OS-7 changes to the user interface
are not that beloved by iPad users.  I had to turn off most of the
gestures because I got tired of all those control screens popping up.

As  Scotty said, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is
to stop up the drain."

Steve
P.S. If you want to contact me off list, please go to SRBsoftware.com
and use the contact system there.  Any email sent to (6809) address and
not from the CoCoList server is delete because of spam.