[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 9 23:18:04 EST 2014

On 10/02/2014 12:46 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I also agree in the long term, but I think there is actually real potential
> for the coco hobby community to grow significantly beyond its current
> numbers in the short term.

I hope you're right!

> I'm one of the "coco was my first computer as a kid" types.  There are
> several of us around too, but I think we are underrepresented compared to
> our numbers.

Ditto!

> In the past few years I've seen a handful of people with this background
> join the group but I am certain there are many more who might join.  (By
> many I mean dozens, not thousands.. I'm not *that* crazy).

Perhaps, but part of me thinks those inclined have already done so.
'Retro' computing/gaming is so 'mainstream' now I would have thought those
that had flashbacks to their Coco days with some yearning have already
actively pursued their new-found interests by now. But of course there's
always the stragglers! ;)

> Then you have the second (or third, who's counting) group, which is largely
> untapped.  These are the folks who maybe had no or little experience with
> the coco, but are involved in "retro computing" on other platforms.

My father had a TRS-80 Model I, and I owned a Coco, Model 4P and Amiga (in
that order) back in the day. These days I have BBC's, Apples, C64's,
Ataris, and a few others to complement my collection, so I do know where
you're coming from.

We can only try!

Regards,