[Coco] pacos9 ported to lwtools

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 10:24:33 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Bill Pierce wrote:
> Tormod,
> The edition is not used by anything, though it is included in the initial parity check when a program is loaded. It's just there for ID puposes. In OS9 (any vers/level & any executable program) run "ident" on a program module. You will see the "edition" number listed. You will also see the revision number displayed in combination with the attribute byte (usually "8x", x being the rev)
>
> This info has NOTHING to do with the actual program or it's running and as far as I know, OS9 does not use it. It's there as an internal "edition" and "revision" number to ID different versions from each other so you do not have to rename the different "editions" to reflect build changes.
>
> A sort of "version control" or "diff" if you will.
>
> It may have been originally used on the original assembler/compiler systems used by Microware to make the os9 system (for version control). I seem to remember a 3rd party OS9 assembler that used to advertise the ability to "update" the "edition/revision" automatically as you made changes in the source and run it through the assembler.
> I do know that it's a "required" part of a module header and will be "zeroed" if you omit it in the source. Otherwise the program will crash due to "incorrect header parity" (I think).

The "edition" is not part of the module header. Whatever it is, it is
in the module body, after the module name. So it is not part of the
header parity check. Just wondering if it was a standard (even if not
mentioned in the NitrOS-9 Technical reference) and if lwtools should
be extended to include it.

Tormod