[Coco] CoCo SDC board arrived and RGB to VGA converters

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Feb 7 06:55:58 EST 2014

On Friday 07 February 2014 06:49:33 Steve did opine:

> I too got my CoCo SDC board today.  But it will have to wait for the
> Sunday or later since I'm booked till then.  (I need as little time to
> dig out a CoCo and find a modern HD T.V that will take those old style
> inputs.  All my old CRT type monitors are long gone.  (The phosphors
> start fall off inside the CRT.)  I do have one of those CoCo RGB to VGA
> converters that someone sold me at a CoCofest but it never work very
> well. (Lot's of sparkles in the T.V. image.)
>
> Speaking of CoCo 3 output to VGA converters, has anyone try this one the
> SainSmart GBS-8220 RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD Video Converter
> Board?  It runs about $30 and here is the link:
> http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-GBS-8220-Arcade-Video-Converter/dp/B0051
> SLJAG

I have one, had to cobble up a composite sync signal to make it work, video
gain is a bit low.  Roy's latest version has better gain & just slightly
sharper.

> There is a review from a CoCo 3 user and he never got it work. But it
> could because he did not know how to hook it up.

It has several inputs, but the only way I found to get a stable pix out of
it was to use the molex header posts, and cobble up an inverted polarity
composite sync.