[Coco] CoCo SDC board arrived and RGB to VGA converters

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 06:53:20 EST 2014

This is what I get from syncmaster 730MW using a RGB Scart cable:

https://twitter.com/RetroCanada76/status/431755475072589824/photo/1/large

But you have to play with the sharpness, brightness and constrast to
get this. And a rgb scart needs a 12V power source and the hard to
find in US scart plug.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Steve <6809er at srbsoftware.com> wrote:
> I think I just may order this converter.  If I can't get it working on a
> CoCo 3, I have a Defenders Arcade game that I could use it on.  Need to
> replace the monitor and power supply on it.
>
> Defenders is one of the few games that having the real controls of the
> arcade cabinet just makes more fun to play.
>
> Steve
>
> On 2/6/2014 11:16 PM, Richard Goedeken wrote:
>>
>> I have one of those GBS-8220 units, and I even designed a piece of video
>> hardware ("C128 Video DAC", I sold about 30 of them) to generate a signal
>> from
>> the C128's high resolution output which this board can convert to a VGA
>> signal.
>>
>> I have about 3 or 4 different NTSC-frequency to VGA converters, and the
>> video
>> quality from this one is on the upper end.  It's pretty good, and for the
>> price they're asking this board is a great deal.
>>
>> I've thought about connecting the Coco 3 RGB output to this board but
>> haven't
>> gotten around to doing it yet.  I think there are some level problems
>> (this
>> board expects 1 volt range but Coco output may be higher), and it may be
>> necessary to tweak the sync line polarities.  But it's at least
>> theoretically
>> possible to use this to convert to VGA, because this board is designed to
>> work
>> with the vert/horz frequencies output by the coco.
>>
>> Richard

Long live the CoCo