[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 6 18:13:56 EST 2014

> > For me personally, this is exactly what appeals to me about any 'Coco4'.
> > But I'd also add the ability to connect modern peripherals, such as
> > keyboards, VGA monitors, CF/SD cards in lieu of floppy/HDD etc. And don't
> > forget the ability to add functionality for 'real' enhancements that you
> > would otherwise have to buy, such as Orchestra 90 cartidges, CocoMax etc,
> > that can be built-in. So-called 'transparent' enhancements are a bonus, and
> > even enhanced graphics, whilst not essential for me, would be welcomed.
> >
> > My dream is a replacement board that would fit in the Coco3 case, using
> > the original keyboard, with a cartridge slot. But also with everything I
> > mentioned above. Or it could sit on a bench, powered by a wall-wart, with
> > PS/2 keyboard. Best of both worlds...

Most of those things have already been created on some FPGA retro system
somewhere and brings me to my opening post that started the CoCo4 discussion.

Why are we even talking about building an FPGA CoCo when the hardware is
staring at us in the face?

I highlighted the Mist FPGA but there are others to choose from. I liked the
Mist because it was not just a development board but a ready made product,
nice and compact, with a wider market potential beyond the CoCo to guarantee
it of sales.

It just needs a CoCo core to be added to it Atari and Amiga cores.

Some bright spark could create an add-on board to provide it with CoCo
specific I/O if need be.

Like I said, I only highlighted the Mist but there may be another more
suitable. The main criteria is to get one that has been popularized to tap
in to it's "economies of scale" and offer more flexibility.

Is there a lower cost DE1 compatible board out there?

Nick