[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Wed Feb 5 15:48:58 EST 2014

I think the notion that a severely financially troubled RadioShack caring
one iota about a recreation of one of their old computers, let alone
carrying it in their stores, is beyond a longshot. Let's face it,
criminally few people remember - let alone care - about the platform, so
there would be no incentive to mass produce the thing. I think
realistically this needs to be thought of as a community-based project of a
few hundred units max.

On the other hand, in regards to the mention in another post about that one
Kickstarter failing, I wouldn't necessarily use that as the sign that
other, somewhat similar projects will automatically fail. The key with
Kickstarter is to have broad appeal, and there have been plenty of low cost
computers - many based around the Raspberry Pi - that easily met their
goals (and then some). The problem with that one failed Kickstarter (from
my perspective) is that it was meant more or less to go into a CoCo 3 case
as a replacement. That's way too granular, and again, that's based on the
assumption that a critical mass of people even know what a CoCo is. Heck,
the CoCo is one of the few classic platforms without an Android emulator
for goodness sake. It's hard to think much beyond our community when the
basics aren't even covered (and again, I'm in no way disregarding the
immense effort this stuff takes - naturally if it was easy it would already
be done), i.e., it's difficult to help expand word/knowledge beyond the
converted because a lot of things that help grow other communities aren't
necessarily present here (again, with full appreciation for all that has
already been achieved).

Maybe that's just a long-winded way of saying we either need to focus on
the reality of the size of the committed community as it stands today or
look for ways to help expand knowledge/interest in/of the platform beyond
our group to open up additional options.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and