[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Feb 4 23:19:35 EST 2014

On 02/04/2014 04:06 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> A few minor corrections:
>
> The current CoCo3FPGA does include some enhancements beyond a stock
> Coco 3.  There are new graphics modes including higher color modes
> (256, 1024 or 4096? its been a while).  [snip]

Current CoCo3FPGA has a 12 bit palette, so instead of 64 total colors,
you can choose your 16 from 4096.  It also has a real low-res 256 color
mode (160x200, with a fixed palette) and an option for double vertical
resolution.  So you could do 256 colors at 160x400, or 16 colors from a
4096-color palette at 320x400.  This is out of the box on the DE-1, and
can be done on the Spartan board with some hardware modification, which
I have done on mine. Interestingly, one of the 256 color modes is the
same resolution as the 8-bit composite artifact colors on a stock CoCo
3.  The palettes likely wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would be
easy to write software that would use 8-bit color that would run the
same on both systems.  Just sayin'.

JCE