[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Tue Feb 4 13:47:06 EST 2014

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Frank Swygert wrote:
>
>> Ok then. Where can I buy one and how much?
>>
>> Strange that if it is already available and low cost that few people
>> have
>> bought one. There should be no more discussions of a CoCo3/4 since it
>> already exists.
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>> You can buy a DE1 board right here for $150 (+shipping):
>> http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?No=83

Shipping is $30-$40 dependingon the option you choose.  That's $180-$190.
Mouser has it for $165 + $7 for UPS shipping.  Definitely a better deal.

>> So why hasn't everyone went out and bought one? Well, it's not
>> everyone's
>> idea of a CoCo4. It's faster, but has no extra features -- no better
>> graphics
>> or anything like that. You can't use old peripherals like disc drives
>> with
>> it. Storage is strictly on SD card, with software emulation of the disc
>> controller (I might be mistaken here...).
>
> Not quite.  The FPGA CoCo 3 can speak DriveWire over a serial port - at
> 430Kbps, I might add.

Quit all the teasing.  mine is already on the truck headed this way.
Where do I find the COCO3FPGA Core?  All I have found so far is a
UNIBUS PDP-11 Core.  (Well, there were others, but nothing I am
interested in.!!)

bill