[Coco] CoHR doesn't support cursor position

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 3 13:27:35 EST 2014

On Monday 03 February 2014 13:22:07 Ken H. did opine:

> Hi,
> The CoHR level1 51 column driver source has full support for escape
> characters (GotoXY, cursor positions, underline on/off, reverse on/off
> etc). For example   DISPLAY 1B 41 X Y  - move  cursor to position
> X(0-50), Y(0-23).
>
> But this escape code feature has been broken in NitrOS9 for a long time
> (did it ever work?)
>
> I have investigated this problem, and the bug is actually is the VTIO
> module.
> VTIO does not pass the 1B escape code to CoHR, and instead generates a
> 246 (Not Ready) error.
>
> The following 4 line patch to VTIO provides a fix for this problem.
>
> Write    ldb   <V.NGChr,u are we in the process of getting parameters?
>             bne   PrmHandl   yes, go process
>             sta   <V.WrChr,u save character to write
>             ldb   V.51EscSeq,u                                      **<<
> ADD: In Escape sequence?
>            bcc   GoCo
> **<< ADD: Yes, send to COHR
>            cmpa  #C$SPAC    space or higher?
>            bcc   GoCo       yes, normal write
>           cmpa  #$1B
> **<< ADD: COHR Escape Code?
>           bcc   GoCo
> **<< ADD: Yes, send to COHR
>           cmpa  #$1E       escape sequence $1E or $1F?
>

> The nice thing about this fix is that we can finally run Dynacalc in 51
> columns mode on a level 1 CoCo.
>
> The CoHR escape codes are based on the Dragon's GO51 display functions.
> Therefore, Tandy's version of Dynacalc will not work, but the Dragon
> version of Dynacalc (
> http://archive.worldofdragon.org/archive/index.php?dir=Disks/Dragon/&fil
> e=Dragon%20Data%20Ltd%20-%20OS-9%20Dynacalc.zip) works fine also on the
> CoCo.
>
> Even better, the STYLOGRAPH word processor (also on the dragon archive)
> also finally works with this patch!
> AFAIK, Stylograph (arguably the best wp for OS9), isn't otherwise
> available for the CoCo.
>
> You do need a stripped down build of NitrOS9 to have enough free memory
> to run these programs.  I was able to run them with a minimal boot disk
> with 129 pages free.
>
> As far as I could tell this fix doesn't break anything else, but before
> we commit this change maybe someone else can test it out?
>
> Cheers,
> Ken

I'd love to test it, but my back has reached the point where I have got to
let somebody make magic marker lines on it to open it up and fix a crushed
disk.

So please hop to it folks, this is exactly the sort of bug fixes we need to
be doing that have been quite long duration gotcha's.