[Coco] Emulating a 1980 4K CoCo on PC

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 30 22:32:28 EST 2014

Nick Marentes wrote:
> I think we need a CoCo 1/2 emulator that is easy to use and complete.
>
> How's MESS?
>
> Nick

MESS is quite good for any CoCo version but not all releases are optimal and
there is no active support for CoCo bugs in new releases. MESS .134b is
reasonable and works well with Roger Taylor's RainbowIDE. The current version I
think is .156b which permits mounting two .vhd drives but complains if you want
to use RGBDOS instead of disk11 unless you use tricks. 134b has the option to
skip warnings so using RGBDOS use is easier.

The JVC emulator is also good for the CoCo2 or CoCo3 but not a CoCo1. This
emulator may not work with Windows7 and up and is sensitive to the type of sound
card in use.

Robert