[Coco] Linux Flavour

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 27 00:42:21 EST 2014

On Saturday 27 December 2014 00:16:05 Bill Nobel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hey All.  I have a extra laptop that I want to put Linux onto.  What
> flavour should I grab. I am trying out Debian 7 right now  I would
> like to have a Drivewire client on this machine through a emulator of
> some sort
>
> Bill Nobel
> .

I am partial to the ubuntu "LTS" issues, where LTS means Long Term
Service.  If you install the server version, I'll have had security
updates for 5 years by the time support expires for the 10.04 LTS version
I am running on 3 of these machines.  I run it on my 2 machines
controllers and on this machine, but am using a local built, much newer
kernel on this machine.  The lappy, when its fired up, has a ubuntu flavor
on it, Mint 12 IIRC, uses the regular ubuntu repos but a customized
lightweight X install.  It only has a gig of ram and a 1.6Ghx "turion"
cpu.  Yeah, its what we usually call long in the tooth, about 12 years old
now.

Either of the cnc machines is running a special kernel for ultra-realtime
interrupt driven apps, and does it well on a dual core atom running at
1.4Ghz, and only a gig of ram.  Newer versions will no doubt be hungrier
for memory.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)