[Coco] CoCo 2 repair - Transformer?

camillus.b.58 at gmail.com camillus.b.58 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 00:27:51 EST 2014

As far as I know the 12 volt is the output from the transformer after the bridge diode rectifier. Can be a bit more or less. Then all other voltages are derived from this 12V rectified source.

This being said, I’m not shure about the coco’s that had the old RAM who needed + and - 5v or 12 volt, but I was under the impression that only the coco I’s where such.

If your RAM chips work only on single voltage (5V) then you can even replace the transformer and power the coco with an 12 Volt DC 1.5 Amp. adapter. This needs a minor modification, which can also be undone as easy. But to explain this It would be better that you have a schematic of your board.

As for the capacitor, replace it, gives you ease of mind, the cost is not worth the ageny. And if it works with the capacitor you put in, with a little higher rating, just let it be. It would be close enough to  the 20% tollerance the capacitor has anyway.

Do you know what revision your board is?

Camillus

Sent from Surface