[Coco] clever idea didn't work

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Thu Dec 18 20:40:55 EST 2014

VGA monitor on my coco3 is great, thanks to Roy Justus converter, but no
artifact colors on old games.  TV on my coco3 great, I get colors, but
can't do 80 columns.  Epiphany:  I found an LCD TV sitting here, it has
composite in, and VGA in.  So I hooked both up to my coco at the same
time, now I can just hit the "input" button on remote control to switch
between VGA and composite signals at will.  Perfect, except:  The TV
will not display the VGA signal, says "mismatch resolution."  But the
manual for TV says it supports 640x480, 60hz.  I plugged converter into
a normal vga monitor, worked perfectly, brought up the menu and it says
640x480 60hz. So.  Maybe TV doesn't support that res, and manual is
wrong.  Or... could there be some other reason the converter output
would not be recognized universally?

-RobertH