[Coco] CoCoSDC question: default .DSK size?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Dec 17 12:53:55 EST 2014

Since I cannot wait until I get home to try it out (I received my CoCoSDC from Ed, and enclosure from Tim), I wanted to ask what the default disk image size is if I make one like:

DRIVE 1,"NEWDISK.DSK",NEW

On many of my disks, I had a small loader program I would run which patched DISK BASIC for 6ms step rate and 42 tracks to get a bit of extra room. How can I back those up? I expect it would work if I used SDF format:

DRIVE 1,"42TRACKS",NEW+
DSKINI 1

...which would send format commands out to 42 tracks, and then it should work, yes?

Does "NEW" create a 35 track image by default, or worst-case 80 track (wasting space)? Or does it have nothing in it until something is written and it expands to that size?

Thanks...

		-- Allen