[Coco] 1980 CoCoCoding contest? (4K Color BASIC 1.0)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Dec 15 13:08:14 EST 2014

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 11:44 AM, Simon Jonassen <simon at roust-it.dk> wrote:
>
> So i can code .asm on a 4K machine but without using a cross assembler
> (lwasm) or edtasm ??

Yep, just like they did in 1980 :) It's weird, looking back, to realize there was a time when you would look up an OPCODE, then find out what byte represented it, and POKE stuff in memory to get the assembly to run. I did that a few times before I owned the EDTASM Pak. Once I had an actual assembler, I never looked back.

At a CoCoFEST! years ago, there was a replica computer there that had to be programmed that way by flipping switches to set a value, then flipping one to set the byte. I watched as a short assembly loader written down on paper was keyed in one byte at a time, then executed so it could then load the rest of the program from a serial port or some other way. It looked fun.

		-- A