[Coco] Sound Pak Modification Question

Theodore (Alex) Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Sat Dec 13 18:22:06 EST 2014

On 12/13/2014 07:30 AM, Ransom Gladwin wrote:
> I have the Sound Pak and it works on my CoCo3 when the games are slowed
> down. I understand that it needs a modification to work when they are sped
> up (normal speed on the CoCo3). Adding the transistor seems like something
> I could handle with my limited soldering ability. Here's my question: will
> this mod make the Sound Pak only work on the games at the higher speed or
> both slow and fast?

The principal of the manually switched modification is that the the SSC
is actually designed to take a 2MHz clock and has a little circuit that
takes the Q and E clocks and combines them to make a 1.78MHz clock out
of the 0.89 MHz clock at normal speed.  If you bypass this circuit it
will work fine at high speed.  In addition, my experience is that the
sound portion works fine at high speed without any modification
(everything is just an octave higher and lasts half as long), but the
speech portion does not work at all.