[Coco] More poor news for Radio Shack

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:39:09 EST 2014

Time did an article on JC Penney, Target and Best Buy adopting the "boutique within a store" : http://business.time.com/2013/04/08/can-the-boutique-store-within-a-store-concept-save-big-box-retailers-from-extinction/

I could not find the Forrester data on the economics here (and would not want to pay anyway) but did find this research paper from Wharton that covers the economic model: http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kinshuk/cvdocs/JZ_SnS.pdf after reading this gentler intro: http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/the-economic-incentives-of-the-store-within-a-store-retail-model/

Long story short: RS needs more room in stores to do this.  But I would visit a Sparkfun or Adafruit stand up display at least once per week if they did something like that.