[Coco] What do people want?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Dec 12 09:37:19 EST 2014

> On Dec 12, 2014, at 7:13 AM, Francis Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:
>
> I've got an easy one -- a core for the MCC-216 (http://www.arcaderetrogaming.com/shop/page/7?sessid=QqJ1zuKEnN451RaDIhCEsWsbQVFvJGlHqJHH5tTLX27b1KLc1cqWJN9gyzxKXdT7&shop_param=).

I will check this out -- but I wonder:

> but if you can't print it's not much use for anything else.

How does one print from a CoCo these days? I still have my DMP-13X printer, but I doubt the ribbons are any good after 20 years, and I haven't seen fanfold printer paper in ages. I didn't expect I would ever be able to use it again?

...which could mean a CoCo SERIAL to USB HOST adapter might be useful, where the adapter does all the translation to output modern USB printer codes. Hmmm, interesting idea. I have all the parts for this, and may take a look at adding it to my joystick interface.

> Oh, another thing (you said two)!! A simple Windows and Linux utility that will read an SD card from the CoCo FPGA/SDC/MCC-216 core. A simple text menu util would do, with selections to read the directory, navigate it, copy files back and forth between the PC and CoCo SD card. Printing the file would be nice, but if you can transfer if can be saved as ASCII then loaded into a WP and printed from the PC easy enough. But a simple print util (for file listings and such) would be nice too, while we're just wishing!

Does such a tool exist for handling DSK images currently? I have seen simple command line tools for copying files and such, and John Strong showed me a demo of a Windows GUI one he was working on, but it would be neat to handle hundreds of disk images, copy between them, etc. from one interface.

		-- A