[Coco] NitrOS-9, Cobbler and Fragmented Boot Files

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 9 21:36:47 EST 2014

Darren,

I just made a test using an 80d.dsk image. I booted from it, deleted OS9Boot,
deleted some other files, and used dEd on the disk allocation table to make sure
that there was no empty space where OS9Boot would fit.
Cobble /D0  resulted in a fragmented boot message, however OS9Boot was created.

I then did a dir -e to find out where OS9Boot was located and was given $0C, the
original location of the file descriptor. Cobbler had left LSN0 DD.BT and DD.BSZ
blank so I entered $00000C for DD.BT using dEd.
The disk booted perfectly!

So that means if the only error that cobbler gives is fragmentation, dEd can fix
it. It also means the only change to cobbler that is required is that on
fragmentation to set DD.BT to point to the file descriptor but leave DD.BSZ $0000.

Robert