[Coco] NitrOS-9, Cobbler and Fragmented Boot Files

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:52:56 EST 2014

Wasn't NitrOS-9 modified to work with a fragmented boot file?

I'm currently working on a new driver for the CoCo SDC. After building a
new DSK image I usually opt to change the screen width to 40 columns by
entering:

xmode /term col=28 sty=1
cobbler /dd

On recent builds (as the driver code has grown in size) Cobbler now fails,
reporting that the boot file is fragmented. This renders the disk
un-bootable and I have to move a fresh copy of the DSK image onto the SD
card. I can avoid the problem by using dmode to set sas=80 before running
cobbler, but can't reduce sas later without getting a fragmented file again.

If NitrOS-9 has solved the fragmented boot limitation, shouldn't Cobbler be
changed so that it doesn't abort in that situation? Is there something else
I should be using instead of Cobbler?

Darren