[Coco] Looking for a working DriveWire 4 setup

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 7 22:19:58 EST 2014

On Sunday 07 December 2014 20:32:11 Christopher Barnett Fox did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Thanks, Gene. This is exactly the sort of expertise and experience I
> was after.
>
> I have old install media for 10.04 LTS and will give it a go.
>
> Christopher

Get it online as soon as the install is finished, and sudo update-manager
and let it sort out the gigabytes worth of security updates it will need.

It will probably take 6 or 7 sessions of the downloading in order to sort
it all, and may take a reboot here and there too in order to get the
patched kernels into memory & running.

10.04.4 LTS is on life support, but I am amazingly still getting security
updates about 3x a week!

> On 20141207, 20:12, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> >On Sunday 07 December 2014 17:36:59 Christopher Barnett Fox did opine
> >
> >And Gene did reply:
> >> Evening, fellow CoConauts,
> >>
> >> I've been struggling to get a fully-functional DriveWire 4 setup
> >> going. I'd like to know what OS & JVM folks have found that work
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Problems I've encountered include stability issues on OS X 10.9.x
> >> and 10.10.x, and missing features (e.g. no browser support) on most
> >> Linux distributions I've tried, including 32- and 64-bit flavors of
> >> Xubuntu, Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
> >>
> >> Just looking for recommendations on what's working for folks. While
> >> I could run Windows for this purpose, I'd rather avoid it if
> >> possible. Any Linux distro would be fine, including older releases
> >> if necessary.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Christopher
> >
> >I am having very little problem with it on this old ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
> >install.  I am now running a much newer kernel, a 3.16.0, and it works
> >as well as ever.
> >
> >Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)