[Coco] Need help (of course)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 5 14:18:09 EST 2014

On Friday 05 December 2014 06:52:44 Bill did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Does that same cable work with the 5 1/4" as Drive 0? A cable made like
> that causes both drives to light up when EITHER a DIR or DIR1 is
> issued

I hadn't thought of that. Question: do you get a different directory
output listing when you change the dir to dir1?  Or do you get a disk
error because both drives are trying to drive data up the cable, which
won't fly too well for obvious reasons.

Some 5.25 drives, most in fact, had a jumper that could cause them to take
the DS line to activate the led, and if on the other set of pins the led
is tied to the motor on input.  The artwork on the pcb for the older drive
would have an M# label where the # could be an s or an o, maybe an e even.
The 3.5 is likely hard wired but might have a cut & solder bridge place on
the pcb if you get out a strong enough magnifying glass.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)