[Coco] CoCoSDC and 42 track disks.

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Dec 4 11:01:49 EST 2014

Disk Extended Color BASIC defaults to 35 tracks (156K?) for disk drives. Later floppy drives (sold third party, and then by RadioShack) were 40 track (180K) drives, but Disk BASIC was never expanded to support it.

There were patches available to let Disk BASIC use 40 track drives (and even 80 track 720K), so most all of my Disk BASIC floppies are 40 tracks.

At some point, I learned that many drives could actually support more than 40, and mine worked reliable at 42 tracks, so I very well may have a ton of floppies that are formatted to 42 tracks.

Does CoCoSDC support this?

Likewise, there were patches to use 80 track drives (360K per side) but if I recall, this broke some compatibility with BASIC due to needing more memory or something. I had two 80 track 5 1/4" drives at one point, but I think I only used them under OS-9. (Wow, think of the storage. A 360K boot drive, plus two 720K other drives. I had over a megabyte... Wild.)

		-- Allen