[Coco] CocoSDC won't stay off

abqpenmaster abqpenmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:28:09 EST 2014

I had similar experience.  Tried every combination of backup, copy, drive on & off but it wouldn't copy to sdc.  Maybe we just use a card reader on a PC to set up files? ??

Albuquerque,  NM USA

I just got my Coco SDC in the mail (thanks everyone for your work on this!)
My first project is to copy some real floppies to the Coco SDC.

I have the Multi-Pak Interface, and I managed to get a working floppy
controller in it after some aggressive contact scrubbing.  So far, so good.

So I have the SDC in slot 1, the switch set to 1, and the real floppy
controller in slot 4.

I type:

DRIVE 0, OFF

and the DRIVE command shows it off.

I type

DRIVE 1, "/NEWCOPY/GAMES.DSK"

and that works.

Then I type

BACKUP 0 to 1

and weird things happen.  It reads a few tracks from the real drive, then
appears to hang.  The drive starts spinning but the light is off.  The SDC
light is also off.  Eventually it dies with an I/O error, and any DRIVE
commands at this point give a syntax error until I hit reset.  It's as if
it's forgotten about the SDC commands, and the SDC entirely.

So I figure - maybe I'll try a different tactic.  I have "Disk Utility" from
Spectrum (D19.BIN).  I set DRIVE 0 to OFF, but as soon as D19 loads, it
ignores the real floppy and goes for the SDC only.  Sigh.  I was really
hoping to use D19 too, to copy some files off some disks with bad sectors.

It seems I'm missing something here.  Any ideas?

The coco SDC shows "SDC-DOS 1.2 CC2" at boot.