[Coco] Mounting CoCoSDC Disk Images in NitrOS-9

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Dec 1 20:45:56 EST 2014

On 11/30/2014 11:32 PM, tim lindner wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
>> So how do you get the /sdx descriptors to point to a disk image file?  Using
>> the current stock nos96309l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk the boot disk shows up
>> as /d0, "dir /sd0" or "dir /dd" results in error #244, and I'm getting #247
>> errors on a disk image in /d1.  Do I need to dmode my /dx descriptors to
>> look like the /sdx?  Am I reading "cylinders" and "sides" /d0 and /d1 don't
>> think exist?
> The /d0 and /d1 descriptors go thru the old wd79x code. That code has
> for years calculated a track number and sector number and side number
> from an LSN. Stuffs them in the FDC registers, and expects the disk
> hardware to find the specific sector.
>
> The CoCoSDC supports that mode.
But it looks like, according to Darren, the emulated FDC is limited to
actual floppy sized images, so one needs to use /sd0 for the 4.5M image
files.  For some reason, it looked to me last night as if I couldn't
access it that way, but that was apparently only after I had tried
looking at it as /d0.  If I stay away from that I seem to be OK.
> But the CoCoSDC also has an LBA mode. The /sd0 and /sd1 use that code
> (it lives in llcocosdc.asm). A few days ago I fixed a bug that would
> cause an error going back and forth between /dx and /sdx. Be sure to
> update your repo. I should check the nightly builds and see if they
> are working.... Nope. Everything is dated April 30, 2014.
>
> http://www.nitros9.org/latest/
>
> I'll ping Boisy and see if I can get that updating again.
>
> But I really suggest getting NitrOS-9 building on your
> Mac/Windows/Linux machine.
Maybe I'll try and get that set up one of these days, but right now I'm
just playing with the CoCoSDC.
>> Nick M. mentioned a manual, but I haven't found any
>> documentation pertaining to CoCoSDC and NitrOS-9, but I'm probably looking
>> in the wrong place.
> I found an outdated manual here:
>
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Manuals/Hardware/Coco%20SDC%20%28rev%20A%29%20%28Darren%20Atkinson%29.pdf
>

> As far as software it looks like there will eventually be:
>
> sdir for listing disk images on an sd card
> sdrive for mounting, unmount existing and new disk images in the 2 slots.
> sinfo for displaying which images are currently mounted in the 2 slots.

Sounds good.  What about writing the flash ROM?

JCE