[Coco] POKEs and PEEKs in NitrOS-9?

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Mon Dec 1 12:23:36 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Bill <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Great, and if I had two working controllers, each in a different slot, how would I address them. PEEK and POKE
> commands do not work in NitrOS-9 (I know, I've tried)

The short answer is I don't remember. I believe stock OS-9 Level 2
sets slot 4 every time a read or write is requested in the device
driver.

I think I once heard the the newest version of NitrOS-9 stores the
slot number in the device descriptor. But I will have to check the
source to be sure.

If that is true the process would be like this:

1. Duplicate the device descriptor. For example: copy d0.dd to d5.dd
2. Hex edit (with dEd?) the new device descriptor to have the new name
and change the slot number.
3. Recalculate the CRC in the device descriptor. Can dEd do this?
Verify can, with the u option
4. Load the device descriptor and try it out.
5. If happy, create a new boot disk to make it permanent.

tim lindner