[Coco] CocoSDC disk format

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 09:54:33 EST 2014

Concerning playing around with boot-tracks, making new OS9Boot files:

It might be worth liberating yourself from the whole boot-track thing
with CoCoBoot, at least to try new setups in Nitros9 (then proceed to
do the brain surgery later).  Here was my steps to tryout my new SDC
with Nitros9:

in my sdc's STARTUP.CFG:

0=cocoboot.dsk
1=nitros9sdc.dsk

1. Boot to a DW version of Nitros.
2. Insert the stock Nitros9 SDC image into a DW drive.
3. "cd /x2"  or whatever your mounted the SDC image to.
4. "copy os9boot myboot"   to make just a regular copy of the boot file
5. modify myboot to suite your needs (I just used DED to change the
/dd descriptor to point to drive 1)
6. plop the new Nitros image onto your SDC's sd card
6. boot the machine to CoCoBoot from SDC
7. make a new boot profile for OS9 (an easy menu system comes with it)
8. reboot.

Basically, CoCoBoot skips the whole boot-track thing and goes right to
the Nitros filesystem and loads the bootfile (now known as "myboot").
It literally took minutes to get Nitros working on my SDC.  The neat
side benefit of using cocoboot is that you can have several different
bootfiles on any given nitros filesystem.. so on platform like DW,
where you can have different machines all booting the same filesystem,
you can have different bootfiles setup for each particular machine.
Making a new bootfile can just be a matter of cat'ing (merging) boot
modules together and rebooting.

Cheers!

-Brett