[Coco] Mounting CoCoSDC Disk Images in NitrOS-9

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:58:43 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:

> <snip>
>
> The sdx device descriptors are for big hard disk-like images using LBA.
> But the 4.5M NitrOS-9 image doesn't need LBA -- it's just like a giant
> floppy disk, is that about right?

My knowledge regarding NitrOS-9 is very limited and I have been having to
rely on others to get the SDC working with it, helping out where I can with
hardware information.

One thing I can say for sure is that any disk image larger than 720K (the
size of an 80 track double-sided floppy) should never be accessed using /d0
or /d1. The floppy drive emulation capability supports a maximum of 80
cyclinders.

I believe there will need to be a driver and firmware update which will
lock out the floppy interface mode for an image once the LBA driver takes
control of it. It can be very dangerous to have two different drivers
accessing the same volume, especially if there is any write-caching going
on.

- Darren