[Coco] The .DSK format/structure

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 15:00:48 EDT 2014

FWIW, JVC format has the possibility of a header, but rarely used. The most I've found is a 2 byte header which is require for it to be read with XRoar.
On the other hand, the DMK format is very complex in that it not only contains the "raw data" but also contains the "in between track" info that is on a real disk. This is the info the disk drive uses to locate tracks and sectors. For this reason, DMK is a hard format to support, though DK Coco Emu, Vcc and XRoar all support it. In fact, XRoar will write only to DMK disks, and even then, they have to be a certain type.
Both formats can be found on the web.. just google "DMK disk format" or "JVC disk format".
The only other format I'm familiar with is VDK which I know nothing about. Any of these formats can have the ".dsk" extension.
JVC was originally developed by Jeff Vavsour for his TRS-80 Model X emulators then used for his Coco emulators.
DMK was developed by David Keil for his TRS-80 Model X emulators then Coco as well.

David has a very good format description here:
http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/trs80-4p/dmkeilImages/trstech.htm

I have a copy of Jeff's format here:
https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/jvc-disk-format

Hope this helps :-)