[Coco] error in direct.h

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Aug 13 07:34:32 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 12 August 2014 23:17:39 Bob Devries did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi all,
>
> I just came across an error/typo in the file defs/direct.h
>
> Line 21 in the section of struct ddsect
>
>      char dd_tsk;
>
> It should be:
>
>      char dd_tks;
>
> as per the manual page 5-2 (OS-9 Technical reference.
>
> I'm just a bit surprised that I haven't caught this one before. I
> realise that it would not be good to change it now; it would break too
> many source files.

This could be the source of some long standing bugs too. And because src
code is editable AND this define file, according to locate here, is only
use in nitros9 ONCE (although I do get many hits from my linux kernel
trees)

I did some grepping here, without finding anything but that typu:

To see what might be affected by fixing it:
gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$ grep -R direct.h *
3rdparty/packages/sierra/convutils/picpatch.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/sierra/convutils/cc3snd.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/sierra/convutils/sndpatch.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/cnvrtmail.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/chown.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/uuclean.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/rmail.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/readnews.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/expgroup.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/rnews.c:#include <direct.h>
3rdparty/packages/uucpbb/src/recvmail.c:#include <direct.h>
/* Added - BAS */
docs/articles/os9software.article:time applications, where there is no
need for direct human interaction.
level1/cmds/asm.asm:L080B    lbsr  L09C6          Generic
indexed/extended/direct handler???

To see if the correct spelling exists anyplace else in the tree:
gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$ grep -R dd_tks *
Is not used with the correct spelling ANYPLACE

And to see if the incorrect spelling exists:
gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$ grep -R dd_tsk *
3rdparty/packages/cc/defs/direct.h:     char      dd_tsk;
Binary file 3rdparty/packages/cc/cc.dsk matches

I would be inclined to fix it as it looks as if any damages are confined
to that typu.

The next "make clean;make dskclean;make;make dsk"  Should self correct any
effect fixing it would cause.

> I know there are quite a few documentation errors, but this is
> different.
>
> I caught this one while re-vamping my lsn0 programme.
>
> Regards, Bob Devries
> Dalby, QLD, Australia

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)