[Coco] can't build nitros9

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Aug 7 22:32:55 EDT 2014

Bob Devries wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build NitrOS9 from the repository. I downloaded (using hg) the
> lwtools, toolshed and NitrOS9 repositories, and built each one in turn. Lwtools
> builds fine, and Toolshed does too, but with a number of warnings. NitrOS9
> doesn't build at all.
 ><snip>

Bob,

I've only built NitrOS-9 under Windows and can't be sure if what I've found will
apply to Linux. Still I expect you are having a similar problem.

I had to change most of the makefile(s) because I prefer to compile selected
directories rather than the complete NitrOS-9 package. If you look at the
makefile(s), you will find that few of them use the syntax:
include ../../rules.mak

Almost all of them use the syntax:
include $(NITROS9DIR)/rules.mak

Now that will work if you start in the root directory where rules.mak exists and
that includes:
ifndef	NITROS9DIR
NITROS9DIR	= $(HOME)/directory_name
endif

In general, the directory_name will not be convenient for your system and won't
be of any use unless you start in the root directory. For convenience, I've
added to all makefile(s) that don't use the first syntax example above:
ifndef NITROS9DIR
NITROS9DIR = $(HOME)/directory_name
endif
Currently my directory_name is nitros9_330 to distinguish it from previous versions.

You may want to try compiling the nitros9/lib directory before compiling any
other branch. If you don't start in the root directory, make sure to define
NITROS9DIR in the makefile(s). Make certain the NITROS9DIR matches your
directory structure.

Robert