[Coco] screencast presentation re: NTSC 8-bit Color on the Color Computer 3

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Apr 29 23:03:41 EDT 2014

On 04/29/2014 06:23 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> I made a screencast version of the presentation I gave at the 23rd
> Annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST! about the CoCo3's NTSC-only 8-bit
> color mode.  If you didn't get to see it (or want to see it again),
> then now is your chance -- enjoy!
>
> 	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6Eu7IansE
>
> John
Thanks for posting this, John.  This was helpful in understanding
artifact colors a little better.  In addition to emulator support (which
would really encourage the wider use of 8-bit artifacts), being able to
calculate artifact colors programmatically would be useful for, say, GIF
display programs on the CoCo 3, though a look-up table would probably be
faster.  But if 16 palette registers and the 'A' bits yield different
palettes than just the 'S' bits alone, then you could select the most
representative palette for a given image algorithmically, assuming all
that can eventually be worked out.

One thing I'm still not clear on is this business of 160 color
transitions per line.  If that is inherent to the NTSC signal, then the
effective horizontal resolution of all NTSC video is only the analog
equivalent of 160 "pixels" (plus overscan?).  Somehow my video cassettes
look better than that, even as low-def as they are. Is it just that the
Luma can vary quicker and is more visually important?  Or am I
misunderstanding something.

Regarding the relative importance of luma over chroma, I have considered
combining 4-color 640 pixel wide grayscale images derived from the Y
component with 160 pixel color images mapped to one of the artifact
palettes in order to get more visual detail in these 8-bit artifact
color images.  Undoubtedly because of the artifacting there would be
some additional color error, but I think it's worth trying.

JCE