[Coco] BETA Testers needed

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 21:32:31 EDT 2014

Hi all,
For those that missed my post earlier (in another thread), I have a basic "OS9 File Manager" version of my "MShell" project ready for some early beta testing. I need to check that the things I'm doing will work on different systems.

MShell is  modular OS9 file manger (soon to be MUCH more), that will browse any of your OS9 file systems. It has a dual pane browser with 2 colums of files in each panel. It will also read DECB formatted disks (real or emulated) and DECB VHD partition disks.
MShell is completely mouse or keyboard compatible (wtih/without hi-res interface). It uses "virtual memory" outside the 64k workspace for data storage, unlimited "fragged" subroutines, and fast graphic screens on the 640x192, two color, 16k graphics mode.

The system requirements to be able to test/run MShell are:

Coco 3 (or Vcc 1.4.3b)
  512k - 2 meg of memory (512k minimum)
  6809 or 6309 processor
  Mouse or Joystick (optional)
  Hard Drive or VHD file system (too large for normal floppy drive usage)
NitrOS9 03.00.00 running from Hard Drive or VHD
NitrOS9 must have:
  CoWin or CoGrf
  Pipe, Piper, PipeMan
  rbdw, dwio, /Xx - DW4 driver & descriptors (optional)
  scdwv, /Nx - DW4 driver & descriptors
(all of this is "standard" on the NOS9 distribution disks)

(optional but very desirable)
DriveWire4 4.3.3o or 4.3.3p running on:
Windows, Linux or MacOSX (I need testers for all 3)
Internet connection (if using DriveWire4)

Also, in early testing, MShell DOES NOT work with Roger Taylor's "DrivePak". I havent test this lately, but Roger's OS9 drivers are known to be "non-standard" and do not conform to the OS9 spec, though this may work now... I have no such pak to test.

If you are not "familiar" with setting up and running software in OS-9, this is not for you. I do not plan on giving "OS-9 lessons" just to test the software. I need to spend my time writing the software, not explaining how to use OS9.
The program suite will have an installer, so installation will be pretty much "automatic".

The DriveWire drivers ar not required, but definately make it more interesting. MShell tests for DW4 (not DW3) on startup and disables DW4 features if not found.
I would like to test MShell with and without DriveWire4 to make sure it works both ways. If you use DriveWire, it must be the latest version of DriveWire4 and not DriveWire3 as DriveWire3 does not support "virtual ports" or intenet access.
MShell should support DriveWire3's drive access fine, just no internet or Midi features.

I would also like to test the DriveWire4 features of MShell on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX DW4 server systems and possibly RasPi servers for those who use them.

I also want testers who are willing to test newer versions as they come available. This is a long term project and will be growing signifigantly over the next year. This is major project with some "lofty" goals, but could possibly make NitrOS9 more "user friendly" in the end. Program updates will be received via MShell's "Internet Updater" function or on virtual disk if not using DriveWire4.

Any one willing to participate, please email me privately and I will send you a disk image and instructions.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com